Wednesday, April 05, 2006

traveling 3rd class

What's happened to England since I left? I'm here again, on the floor of a train trying to finish some work for a client I'm with all day today. Meanwhile there are THREE, yes count them, 3 first class carriages of poncy men snoring their heads off (obviously 1 person per set of 4 chairs cos normal people don't sit in first class). And this isn't a one off. Of the 4 times I've traveled to London 3 times I've been sat on the floor freezing my arse off. You know things are bad when you're actually scrabbling for floor space with other passengers! Talk about 3rd class - next time I'm going to bring some chickens and donkeys - help it seem more real (they might be warm too). I asked the conductor for a discount for 3rd class and he just told me there are 70 people standing on this train! How outrageous is that? That's a whole carriage worth of people! And the worst thing is that those who sit about giving orders all day are the ones who have seats while the real workers (who have too much work they have to do it half the night and on the train in the morning) are the ones who have to sit on the floor (ruin their nice coats that they can't afford to keep mending).

I feel like I'm caught in Max Weber's self-fulfilling prophecy....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home